antivirus for linux mint: In this post, we are going to show you the best Anti Virus for Linux. We all know that turning on Fire Wall in Linux Mint is enough but no one can be safe enough and so we will go ahead and install one of the best antivirus for linux mint in linux mint.
The following post is divided into two sections, the first section has the list of the best antivirus for Linux mint and the section shows how to turn on the firewall in linux mint and what are the benefits of doing it.
- Antivirus for Linux Mint.
- Calm-AV antivirus for Linux Mint
- Chkrootkit antivirus for Linux Mint
- F-Port antivirus for Mint.
- Sophos for Mint.
- Comodo for Linux Mint.
- Rootkit hunter for Linux Mint.
- BitDefender for Mint
- Enable FireWall in Linux Mint
Antivirus for Linux Mint:
It is free and open source versatile antivirus for Linux Computer. It is easy to use because it is simple and easy to install on a Linux computer. It is available from the main repository. It does not have a GUI out of the box but the users can install a GUI if they wanted to. The GUI is Calm TK GUI. Use the following command to install Calm AV in mint.
The following are the features of Calm AV:
- POSIX compliant and portable.
- Command Line Interface for using the antivirus
- Regularly updated virus definition.
- It scans various kinds of files such as Office files, PDF files and even compressed files such as Rar, 7Zip, Tar and zip.
- Give One access scanning.
Chkrootkit scans rootkit for viruses. It is very lightweight and it can be run from CDs. That means that, if the user has a CD with Chkrootkit in it, the user can run the program from that CD.
The users can easily download and install Chkrootkit from the following URL:
Find some of the important scripts for Chkrootkit below:
chkrootkit: shell script that checks system binaries for rootkit modification.
ifpromisc.c: checks if the interface is in promiscuous mode.
chklastlog.c: checks for lastlog deletions.
chkwtmp.c: checks for wtmp deletions.
check_wtmpx.c: checks for wtmpx deletions. (Solaris only)
chkproc.c: checks for signs of LKM trojans.
chkdirs.c: checks for signs of LKM trojans.
strings.c: quick and dirty strings replacement.
chkutmp.c: checks for utmp deletions.
The following are the features of Chkrootkit:
- Backdoor and botnet detection.
- Malicious TinyNDS detection.
- Linux.Xor.DDoS malware scanning.
- It scans for RootKit as the name suggests.
F-Port has two distinct solutions, one for home users and one for enterprise users. This antivirus scans for millions of threats and detects macro virus, Trojans and boot sector virus. It is free for home users and it has a large database for virus definition and therefore it keeps the computer very safe. It does it by comparing the virus definition from the database with the virus in the user’s computer and detect them. If the database for virus definition is large, the more the chances of detecting the virus in the user’s computer.
Download F-Port from the following link:
Below are the features of F-Port:
- It supports the 32bit and 64bit versions of Linux x86
- The large virus definition database contains a definition of around 21 million.
- It can perform scheduled scanning of the system using CRON.
- It scans the Hard Drive, CD-ROMs, diskettes, Images of boot sector virus, macro virus and Trojan Virus.
Sophos is a very good antivirus solution for Linux. It has a strong heuristics-based detection, it has Virus, Malware, Trojan scanning features. It also provides real-time and on-demand scanning features. Unlike another antivirus, it can detect the virus software for Windows, Mac and other OS also and remove them.
It is very lightweight and it has relatively small updates. The users can create exclusions using the file name and directory.
All the commands except the scheduled scan can be run as root.
The following are the features of Sophos:
- It can detect and block malware on demand, on access, and on schedule.
- It is very effective and secure.
- It has high performance and malware detection for a wide range of OS.
- It high performance.
Comodo offers one of the best antiviruses for linux. Comodo is also known for making one of the best firewalls for windows. It also offers highly configurable antispam systems. It is available in both 32 and 64 bit systems. It offers email scanning and with real-time and on-demand scanning.
Below are the features of Comodo:
- It is free with regular updates.
- It has proactive antivirus protection without any annoying notifications.
- Optimal and automatic virus update for most antivirus protection.
- It has a scanner, scheduler, detailed event viewer and custom scan profiles.
Rootkit Hunter is a very good, lightweight, POSIX compliant, opensource antivirus that is available for Linux and Free BDS. It is a scanner for every kind of system, for the backdoor, and rootkits for every kind of system. This antivirus uses SHA-1 hash comparison to detect malicious entries. It is written in Bourne shell and so it is compatible and portable with most UNIX based systems.
Features of RootKit Hunter:
- It has a Command Line Interface.
- Rootkit detection.
- It is simple to use and offers through inspection capabilities.
- It is compatible with most UNIX based systems.
It is excellent antivirus software. It is versatile antivirus software for Linux and Free BDS. It has scanned for archives, supports desktop integration, It has GUI and powerful GUI.
Features of BitDefender:
- Enables scanning for archives.
- Supports Desktop integration.
- It can isolate infected files and protect the particular directory.
Enable Firewall in Mint:
Now that we have seen the best antivirus for mint, let us also see how to enable the firewall in mint.
Enabling the firewall in Linux Mint is very easy and it is more recommended than installing any antivirus. Use the following command to enable the Firewall in Mint.
The above command will enable the firewall in the Linux Mint.
Unlike the Windows counterpart, Linux and its distros are very safe and secure. The users can not get easily targeted by malicious software.
In this post, we saw some of the best antiviruses for mint. The users are recommended to carefully go through the list and choose the antivirus that suits them the most. We have also provided the option to enable the firewall in mint. Be sure to enable the firewall for mint also.
For more awesome posts, stay tuned to TecKangaroo.