Yes, you can program using C# programming language on a Mac. C# programming language is the most popular programming language for the .NET Framework. The .NET Framework is the framework that is made for the Windows OS in order for the developers to make programs and different software.
- What is the C# programming language?
- What is a Mac?
- Visual Studio Mac.
- NuGet Package Manager for Visual Studio for Mac.
We know that Windows and Mac are different environments and they are mutually exclusive in the Technology world. And yet we can use the C# programming language to program on a Mac.
In this post, we will see what is the C# programming language and what is Mac and finally, we will see how to program on a Mac using C# programming language.
What is the C# programming language:
C# is a general-purpose programming language. It is pronounced C sharp where the sharp is the musical note. It is an object-oriented and strongly typed programming language.
.NET Framework is developed by Microsoft and it is useful for developing applications for Windows. But as of .NET Code, .NET Framework is now cross-platform. It can be used to develop applications for Windows, Mac, and Linux. We are going to focus on .NET Core for this post as we are going to use the C# programming language for developing on Mac using C#.
You have many reasons to start with a C# programming language as it can be easily learned. It can be used to develop a web application for Mac. There is a large community for developing applications using C#. And with Unity, we can now develop cross-platform games using C#.
There is a very powerful IDE that can be used to develop using C# programming language on Mac and that is Visual Studio.
What is Mac?
Apple is famous for its own line of Hardware and it is very famous for the operating systems that ship with it. Apple has currently 4 different lines of OS and they are, TV OS for apple TV, watch OS for the Apple Watch, iOS for the smartphones and Mac OS for the computers and laptops.
The oldest of all the OS mentioned above is the Mac OS and it has been around for 18 years. This operating system launched for the users with a GUI that can be used for interacting with it. Its launch might have not been smooth but today it is very optimized for the hardware and performs the best for it.
It has many features and it is great for personal computing and professional work for creative professionals. It integrates very well with the iPhones and once the users get used to the ecosystem, it is very hard to get out of it.
The integrations of Apple’s all Operating systems is unmatched to date. This is the main reason to use a Mac and now we have more reasons to develop on Mac too.
We will see how to develop using the C# programming language on Mac.
Visual Studio Mac:
Using Visual Studio on Mac is fairly straight forward. We have to download the Visual Studio from the official site and install it. The Visual Studio for Mac comes with many workloads and some are following.
- Cross-platform mobile apps development using .NET and Xamarin.
- Mac Desktop Apps.
- .NET core apps.
- ASP.NET Core Web apps.
- Cross-platform Unity Games.
The above are the most popular development workloads for Visual Studio on a Mac but regardless of the type of workload, the process of adding and using a NuGet package is the same.
A NuGet package is a library that can be used to write programs. It comes with a pre-written code that we have to only call from in our program. The ability to add and removing NuGet packages will make development using Visual Studio very easy.
The NuGet package manager for Visual Studio for Mac:
- We can easily go to the NuGet package manager in the project’s context menu.
- We have to click on Manage Nuget Packages.
- Here we can see the Nuget Package Manager where we can get the functionality that we are looking for.
- We can search for what we want and install the relevant solution to the project.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- We can see the installed packages using the installed tab.
- In the update tab, we can see the updates available for any of the NuGet packages.
- We can also go to the solution level Nuget package manager.
- Right-click on the solution file and go to the context menu for the solution and select the Manage NuGet Packages.
- When we choose the right Nuget Package and select the install package, we can see that a new pop up asks us where to install the NuGet. Here we can choose all the project or only the one we want to add it to.
- The consolidate tab shows the different versions fo the same NuGet package that is currently installed in the project.
- We can use this tab to get a uniform version number across all the projects.
- We have to only select the right version number and then choose consolidate package.
In this post, we learned about one of the most popular operating systems which is Mac. Mac is developed and supported by Apple.Inc and it is used by millions of users around the world. It is very stable and preferred by creative professionals.
C# is a .NET Framework programming language and it is developed and maintained by Microsoft. For Mac users, the C# programming language is relevant when they want to develop cross-platform mobile apps, .net core apps, and most importantly Unity games.
The Mac users can easily install Visual Studio along with some of the Workloads for getting started with C# programming language on Mac and finally, they can use the NuGet Package manager for additional support.
For more such awesome posts, stay tuned to TecKangaroo.
- C# Mac
- Author Rating
- Content Quality
- Article Relevancy