Beginner to an expert about DevOps cycle:
It is the agile relationship between the development team and the operations team. It is a culture that promotes collaboration between the development team and the IT operations team. DevOps increases the speed with which the organization delivers the software and also helps the organization to do it in a repeatable way.
- DevOps is the culture in which the development and the operations team can work together.
- Earlier, testing and deployment were done one after another after the completion of the coding and build phase. This structure has a low time efficiency.
- Without Continuous Deployment, the teams made many mistakes while deploying code in production.
- With DevOps, the development and the operations team come in sync and have more overlapping timelines and produce the output faster.
DevOps lifecycle is a set of steps followed by the development team and operations team together. DevOps Cycle includes 7 steps that are given below.
- Continuous Development.
- Continuous Integration.
- Continuous Testing.
- Continuous Monitoring.
- Continuous Feedback.
- Continuous Deployment.
- Continuous Operations.
With the proper implementation of DevOps lifecycle, we can make the production of apps more efficient and secure.
DevOps lifecycle is not something new because it is the natural way in which small organizations tend to produce one of their first few successful software. The reason why it is followed in a smaller organization is that DevOps Cycle ensures the production of the successful software more than the traditional waterfall methods for smaller and compact teams and organizations. Earlier following this method for a fully-fledged large organization was not feasible as the members in a team change frequently and even the teams are generally very large.
In the fast internet world, organizations are needing to address user concern more than ever before. With the help of the DevOps cycle, even large organizations are able to do this. Earlier large organizations had disadvantages such as they are very large in size and extremely difficult to manage. But with a DevOps cycle properly implemented, even large organizations are able to make improve the existing features fast.
- DevOps is a software development approach that synthesizes development and operations to achieve agility.
DevOps is meant to optimize this software development not only in the development stage but also in the entire development pipeline from the development stage to the testing stage and feedback
A very brief introduction to what the DevOps cycle has been given.
Let us explore more about every 7 steps of the DevOps cycle.
- Continuous development is where coding happens.
- In Continuous development, development of the application happens continuously.
- In Continuous development, the programmers have to plan their steps and meet the requirements of the project.
- In Continuous Development, the developers analyze the application objectives and code the application.
- Here the Developers have to carefully consider the client requirements and develop the project.
- With the help of Continuous Development, the code for the existing application can be improved in parallel with the development of the new code.
- In Continuous Integration, the integration of various parts of the application code and build them.
- Continuous Integration is for adding the new feature with the partially developed application continuously.
- Continuous Integration is about the ability to add the newly developed feature to an existing application without having to pull the application from the testing environment.
- Here the Integration is not done blindly but it is done using conditions.
- Only if the new features meet the minimum requirements for a new feature that the new feature will be deployed along with the application.
- Continuous Testing is the heart of the whole process. Test the application that has been built so far and rebuilds the application.
- The testing team uses tools such as Selenium to identify bugs and fix them.
- Continuous testing will test the new features as soon as it is integrated with the application in the test environment.
- The testers will produce the test results for the developers to see and improve the application in the next cycle.
- Tools such as Jenkins are used extensively in this phase.
- If the application passes all the tests, it is time to release the application. After releasing the application the main process is Continuous Monitoring.
- Continuous Monitoring is the phase where the operational data produced by the application while it is being used by real people is analyzed to produce useful results.
- Continuous Monitoring will produce a large amount of documented data for the developers to work and decide what is the next best progress.
- Monitoring is done to make sure that the application is meeting the client requirements.
- The application is improved continuously using the feedback from the users.
- The feedback from the actual users is a very important asset for the developers because it helps them prioritize them what is important and what is not.
- In Continuous Deployment, the code is deployed into the high traffic server.
- This is one of the riskiest processes because if anything goes wrong, there is a real impact on the revenue generated by the application.
- Continuous Deployment is the process of deploying the application to the production as soon as it passes the tests.
- It is one of the latest methodologies in the software development life cycle.
- It is done using tools such as GitLab CI, Circle CI, Travis CI and more.
- It decreases the errors that happen in the during deployment.
- Continuous Operations is the stage where the development has completed and any potential problems are handled by the operations team.
- Here, it is the duty of the operations team to ensure the smooth functioning of the application and maximum uptime.
Difference between the Traditional Process and DevOps Cycle:
|Traditional Process||DevOps Cycle|
|The Development team works on testing the new servers. The Operations Team works on the necessary paperwork that is needed for deployment.||The development and the operations team work together in testing and the paperwork and improve the visibility.|
|Projection about the failover, redundancy, and storage requirements is not clear as the development team does not input in the paperwork.||Projection about the failover, redundancy, and storage requirements is clear as the development team inputs in the paperwork.|
|The operations team is unaware of the progress made by the development team for developing the code.||The operations team is well aware of the real progress made by the development team in developing the code.|
|There are chances when load testing will crash the application and the deployment is delayed.||Here, the load testing will only slow down the application and the information is quickly communicated to the development and they will figure out how to fix the bottle.|
Advantages of DevOps Cycle:
- DevOps has a lower failure rate.
- DevOps method includes the future for creating artifacts this helps us restore earlier versions very easily.
- It is very easy to maintain the run time as we can easily recover from a new release failure using an existing artifact.
- DevOps improve the quality of the software delivered.
- DevOps takes care of the software deployment and testing and therefore it reduces risk.
- DevOps increases efficiency and therefore decreases the cost for production.
- DevOps helps in breaking down large and applications into smaller sections.
In this post, we have learned about DevOps Cycle. It is an interesting concept that brings the development team and the operations team together. There are 7 stages in the DevOps Cycle and each one is very important. Using DevOps large organizations can benefit from increased efficiency.
There are many important points about DevOps Cycle in the post. Go through the post and let us know in the comments if you have any doubts. For more awesome posts, stay tuned to TecKangaroo.
- Author Rating
- Content Quality
- Topic Relevance