USB Stick showing the Wrong Size Error- Fix: This error usually occurs during Formatting a USB Stick(Pen Drive) where the USB will start showing a wrong capacity instead of its real capacity. There will be USB Stick with 32 GB capacity or 16 GB capacity but due to the error, it will be showing in few MB(say 5 MB or 100 MB). No matter how many times you try to format it, the capacity is not going to change If you are facing this issue, then there is no need to panic. Kindly follow the below steps on your Windows 10 and you will be out of this issue in no time.
Fix USB Drive showing Wrong Capacity(Size) Error- Simple Steps:
Firstly, we are not going to use any kind of third-party hard drive manager software and hence we will just use Command Prompt of Windows 10 and thereby this is the best and efficient solution to getting rid of this error.
- Plug the Corrupted USB Stick to your system running Windows 10.
- Go to the Start menu and search for cmd.
- Once the application shows up, right-click on that and Run as Administrator.
- We will open the Disk Utility Program on the cmd using the following command. Execute it on the cmd.
- Now, the Disk Utility Program will open inside the cmd. Let us list all the disks added to your system using the following command.
- It will list the disks attached to your system which also include your Hard Disk. On this list, you can find your USB Stick. Here, the capacity of your USB Stick will be shown with its perfect capacity. Hence from the Capacity, you can identify which disk is your USB Stick.
- The Disks attached will be assigned with numbers. Kindly note down the number assigned to your USB Stick. Now, execute the following command on the cmd where you have to replace X with the assigned number(for me, X=1).
- Your USB stick will be selected now. Let us clean the USB stick firstly using the following command.
- Now that the USB Stick is cleaned, let us create a primary partition on the USB.
- As we all know, by default, USB Stick FAT32 file system and hence let us configure the USB Stick with FAT32.
- Wait for the Success message from DiskPart saying “DiskPart successfully formatted the volume”.
- Close the DiskPart and as well as the Command prompt.
- Safely remove your USB Stick from the system and then reinsert it.
- Now check the capacity of the USB Stick from This PC. You can find the USB Capacity restored.
- That is it. The error is fixed. So simple !!
Conclusion of the Article:
With the above steps, you can now get rid of the Error “USB Stick showing the Wrong Size” using the command prompt of Windows 10 itself and thus making it the simple yet the best solution.
If you have any doubts, please let us know in the comments below. For more such awesome posts stay tuned to TecKangaroo.