gimp remove background is the best tutorial to learn how to remove background image gimp. Gimp is an open source free image editing software that is best for editing images in PC. This is the best tutorial that shows gimp remove background in an easy and quick way.
This tutorial is divided into two sections, the first section, we will show how to gimp remove background in an easy way and in the second section we will show how to remove the background in Gimp in a better way. There are better ways to achieve the same and it can depend on the image itself and please check out the upcoming tutorial for the same.
Gimp remove background the easy way:
Let’s start the tutorial with an easy technique. This technique is better for beginners. It is also understandable so the user can remember the technique. We recommend learning easy and the advanced technique none the less. Now that is said, let us jump into the easy technique.
- For this technique, we are going to use the path tool.
- Select the path tool by clicking this icon or just press B in the keyboard.
- Let’s try and extract this image from the background
- Carefully create a border around the outline of the subject of the image that we want to keep. We do it by dropping dots around the subject as shown in the Image below.
- We can see that the path tool starts drawing an outline connecting the dots. Also, zoom in if the subject contains lots of sharp edges.
- We can click and drag a dot in order to create a curved outline. This is useful if the subject has many curved corners.
- If you accidentally drop a dot in a wrong place you can easily remove it by pressing Ctrl + z.
- Once you have created a closed path around the subject, right-click the image and select image from path.
- Now right click the image again and click on select and now click on invert. This will invert the selection.
- Press the delete button in the keyboard to remove the background. This will remove the part of the image that does not constitute the background.
Well, there you go, the easy technique is that much only. This technique uses only visual skill and the procedure is also understandable for us to use. That is why this is an easier method than what follows.
Gimp remove background the advanced technique:
This technique is little bit more difficult than the previous one. That is because this is using some of properties of the images that the beginners might be familiar with. But this technique is still worth learning because, it will decrease the amount of hard work compared the previous method. This will let users to get much better details in the image that will be otherwise not easy in the previous technique.
To understand what the usefulness of this technique we recommend the reader to proceed forward with this method. In the following steps, we will use two images that we call image 1 and image 2. Here we use the image 1 as the image that contains the subject and image 2 as the new background for image 1. This will help the readers understand the effectiveness of the advanced technique.
- Open the Gimp software.
- Drag and drop image 1 into the Canvas.
- Right click the image and go to Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel.
- Go to window>dockable dialogues>layers. This will display the layers window if this is not already being displayed. This can be done by pressing Ctrl+L as well.
- In the layers window Right-click and select Duplicate Layer so that we have two copies. Please note that by to copies we mean that two layers containing the same image.
- Select the first image in the two images and the bottom image will be greyed out.
- Next step is to turn this image into grayscale. Go to Colour>Desaturate>Grayscale.
- Go to Colours>Invert.
- We will keep everything that is bright and we’ll get rid of everything that is dark. This will keep the subject we need and discard the background that we want to remove.
- Go to colours select levels and drag the small pointer from the left side to the right.
- This will help us make the background darker. Click ok.
- Now go to the paintbrush tool from the toolbox. Click on the colour toggle switch this will turn the colour in the brush black.
- We can increase the size if you want purely depending on the convenience and darken the background as much as we want.
- At this stage, we can go back and forward the original image from the other layer to see which part of the image is necessary and which is not.
- Now we will switch the colour of the brush to white and we will paint the area that we need to keep. Initially, we can keep the brush size large enough to cover as much as possible then turn down the brush size to get the smaller areas as well.
- Now right click the layer and add alpha channel
- .Now save this image in gimp format.
- Go to Select>All or press Ctrl+a.
- Go to Edit>Cut or press Ctrl+x.
- Click on the second image in the layout dock.
- Right click on the layer and add layer mask.
- Make sure white (full opacity) is selected and click add.
- Go to Edit>paste or press Ctrl+v.
- Now you can say that the background has been removed.
- Save this image to the hard disk. Do this by pressing Ctrl+Shift+e. Enter a name for the file, and press export. In the new dialogue box, press Export.
- Now we can click on the floating layer that is on the top and click on the anchor.
- The previous layer that we have been using is now just an empty layer and therefore we can even delete it.
- We can drag and drop the required background image into the layer.
- Make sure that the image with the subject is on the top and right click the layer on the top and select Merge down.
- Press Ctrl+shift+e to export the image to the hard disk.
This is a good way of removing the background because we can even get fine details.
Here we saw two best methods of gimp remove background. The first method will remove the backgound and it is easy for simpler images. The second method is better while the image is more complex and requires more attention for gimp remove background. Therefore we recommend the users to learn the second method for gimp remove background to be able to remove background and add another background easily.
If you have any doubt, please let us know in the comments below and if you would like to know more, please let us know that also in the comments below. Stay tuned to TecKangaroo for more awesome post.