Windows Tips & Tricks: Microsoft is providing 10 years of technical support for those who updated from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10. The new Windows 10 operating system is loaded with a lot of features and comes with a lot of advantages. In this article, let us check out the Tweaks, Tricks, and Tips that will make working with Windows 10 more effectively.
- Customize your Windows PC
- Microsoft Edge Browser
- Internet Explorer 11 Tips
- Hey Cortana on Windows 10
- Assign Win Key + E to This PC
- How to do Safe Booting in Windows 10
- Enable Tablet Mode in Windows 10
- How to add Blur Effect to the Start Menu
- Assign Default Applications in Windows 10
- How to do Screen Recording with Xbox App
- Conclusion of the Article
Easily Customize your Windows 10 PC:
The new Windows 10 OS has the best PC settings options with it. Besides Control Panel, it contains the easiest way to customize your PC with new Settings. The new settings include Windows updates, system management, changing Network & Internet & Apps control which are way easier than the earlier one. The new Windows 10 privacy setting allows you to personalize your PC, Manage User Accounts & Manage your devices like setting date and time, Windows security and Windows updates.
You can access all the settings of “System Settings” using the shortcut Win key + A.
Microsoft Edge Browser- New Chromium Edge Browser:
The Microsoft Edge is performing much better than the Internet Explorer. Though it is in the competition with the other browsers such as Chrome and Mozilla, Microsoft announced that it will be using Chromium’s open-source engine for the Chromium Edge and the Beta, Dev and Canary Channels of Chromium Edge Browser is available from its official website which you can try out and experience this new combo. Check out: Download and Install Chromium Edge Web Browser for Windows 10.
Internet Explorer Tips:
With the arrival of Edge on Microsoft Windows, the spotlight went to Edge yet Microsoft decided not to terminate IE rather they made it as an added Windows Feature. You can use Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 if it is enabled on Windows Features of the Control Panel and at the same time, if you don’t want it, then you can disable it on Windows 10.
How to Enable and Disable Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10:
- Go to Control Panel and switch the Control Panel view to Category.
- Click on Programs and then click on Turn Windows features on or off of Programs and Features.
- Windows Features dialog box will appear. From the list, you can find the Internet Explorer 11 and then you can enable or disable it according to your requirement. Finally, click OK.
Accessing Cortana in Windows 10:
Cortana is the best feature for Windows users. When Cortana is enabled on Windows 10, it replaces your Start menu with Cortana Voice assistance to search for the apps or terms. Cortana is similar to “Ok Google” of Google Assistant & “Siri” of iPhones. Kindly follow the below steps to enable Cortana on Windows 10
How to Enable “Hey Cortana” on Windows 10:
- Use the shortcut Win Key + A and click on All Settings.
- Windows Settings will appear now.
- You will find Cortana there. Click on that and open it.
- Enable the option “Let Cortana respond to “Hey Cortana“.
- Now, you can access Cortana via “Hey Cortana“.
Open-File Explorer instead of Quick Access:
Until Windows 7, when we use the shortcut Win Key + E, it will take us to the iconic “My Computer” but then on Windows 8, instead of “My Computer“, the same shortcut started taking us to the File Explorer and the same is being followed on Windows 10 also. Most of the users feel uncomfortable with this change as they prefer “This PC” to File Explorer. Don’t worry if you are facing the same. The following are the steps to change the action of Win Key + E from opening This PC and not File Explorer.
How to Assign “This PC” to Win Key + E shortcut on Windows 10:
- Go to File Explorer using Win Key + E.
- Click the “View” option that is available on the Menu bar.
- Then click the “Options“.
- Open “Change Folder and Search options“.
- Under the General tab, dropdown “Open File Explorer to:” and select This PC.
- Click the “Apply” button now.
- Finally, click on OK.
Now, we have assigned the Win Key + E Shortcut to open This PC.
How to do Safe Mode Booting on Windows 10:
The Safe mode booting can be achieved very easily in Windows 10, You just need to follow the steps.
- Click on the Start.
- Click on the “Power” button.
- You will find the following options. Sleep, Shut down and Restart.
- Now, press and hold the “Shift” key and then click on Restart.
- Your PC will restart now with the Safe Mode with Troubleshooting options.
How to Enable Tablet Mode on Windows 10:
As technology grows day by day, the hardware and software getting more sophisticated every day. Nowadays, 2 in 1 PCs are more famous for their increased functionalities. Windows 10 comes with a default Tablet mode that will convert your PC into a Tablet in no time. The following are the steps to do that.
- Go to Access Center using the shortcut Win Key + A.
- You will find “Tablet Mode“. Click on that.
- You can find your PC interface changes to the Tablet Mode.
How to Add Blur Effect to the Start menu:
If you wish to add a blur effect to the Start menu of your Windows 10 then it is really easy. Some may like a Blurry appearance while others may not. Hence, I will leave the decision to yourself.
- Go to the “Run” command box.
- Type regedit and then click OK.
- Registry Editor will now open.
- Go to the Address bar and paste the following term and press Enter key.
- Nextly, Right Click on the EnableTransperancy and click on Modify.
- Change the Value data to 1 if it was 0 and vice versa.
- Finally, click OK.
- Close the rest of the Windows and then click on the Start and you can find the Blur effect on it.
How to Assign Default Apps on Windows 10:
Assigning Default Apps is always an essential one as it will let Windows open Files based on your selection which will make your work comfortable with the files. You can assign Default applications for Email, Maps, Music Player, Video Player, Photo Viewer, and Web browser.
- Go to All Settings using the shortcut Win key + A.
- Click on Apps.
- Under Apps on the Left Pane, Click on Default apps.
- Click on the App that you wish to assign default and then select the required app.
- You can find the Default apps have been changed as per your setup.
How to do Screen Recording using Xbox Console Companion:
Xbox is one of the best gaming devices and the Xbox Console Companion is also one of the best Gaming Centers for Windows 10. It allows you to record the screen while playing the games and also allows you to stream online while the game is playing. Follow the below steps to record the screen using the Xbox app:
- Click on the Start menu and open the Xbox Console Companion.
- Sign in to your Xbox Account.
- The Xbox app dashboard will appear.
- On the Dashboard, press Win Key + G.
- A small toolbar with essential options will pop-up. From that, click on the Capture icon.
- Another toolbar with a Capture option will pop-up now and you can find the Recording button over there. If you click on that button, then the Recording will start.
- You can access the saved recording via “Show all captures“.
Conclusion of the Article:
The above article covers interesting features and tweaks about Windows 10 Operating system with simple steps. If you have any doubts, please let us know in the comments below. For more such awesome posts stay tuned to TecKangaroo.